Sunday, August 19, 2007

I heart peeing in my wetsuit...(thanks Stephen)

It's been 9 days since I had my bunionectomy(sp?) and toe straightening surgery...and I finally was able to leave my house yesterday!!!!!!!!!! Yes!

This whole process has ben extremely humbling for me. I sit on my futon in my living room for most of the hours of all of the days - I have to ask for ice, drinks, DVD changing, clothes - EVERYTHING! Getting up and down on my left leg only - working on a left "bun of steel" - I've gotten MUCH better on my crutches...

OH - and I did fall last Sunday, I was just going to my bedroom to sit on my bed and somehow I fell in between my bed and my dresser and all of sudden I was on my face. For my girls that hiked with me two weeks ago and witnessed my amazing and sudden face plant on the A.T. - it was very similar to that. I am standing and then I am not. That quick...the scary thing was that I bumped my foot as I fell. My toes swelled up and I was in more pain - so I called my doctor and got in to see him on Tuesday. I did bump one of my pins out of place which he had to pop back into place. I won't go into details about that experiene but just know that it was the worst part of this surgery so far. I was worried it would be a setback but the past two days my foot has gotten so much better. I can sit with both feet in front of me without my foot throbbing - it is amazing! I am truly excited about having feet that don't hurt everyday. It will be a whole new experience!

AND yesterday was my first day out of the house. Mom took me to Panera for a Cinnamon Crunch bagel and an iced latte and then we went to Target where I got to ride the scooter. It's not as exciting as you think - riding the scooter that is - but it was soo great to get out. I also got to go see a movie - I've been wanting to see the "Bourne Ultimatum" all week. I asked to go as soon as I got home from my surgery, but they wouldn't take me! So I saw that movie. It was great.

Anyways, I wanted to give an update - I have been so blessed by all of you that have stopped by and spent time with me or made me food so far and now I will have to rely on you for the next 5 weeks to drive me around. Again, the whole process is humbling...even the easiest tasks take me so long or I have to have help to get them done. It's been good for me, though. I rarely sit or am still this long...it has also been a great time to pray for my students and friends on a regular basis. I am attempting to pray some of the hours - based off of some of Phyllis Tickle's books. How cool if I get into such a habit to stop at 6 a.m., 9 a.m., 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. to pray - that I continue it! We will see...

No comments: