Friday, August 31, 2007

Diana and new steps...

I am sitting in my living room with my right foot propped on a pillow watching the Princess Diana Memorial. I wasn't planning on watching the memorial - didn't even realize that it would be on the television. But it's interesting to remember where I was 10 years ago...I traveled with Amanda (Perry) Heibel to visit Kathleen Jones at Emory. We explored Atlanta and Emory and hung out in parks and enjoyed each others company. I remember watching some of the news about Diana's death which sparked conversation about how fragile life is...
Now 10 years later - I haven't talked to Kathleen since she got married two years ago, while Amanda and I have stayed in touch over the years but not as well as I want. We have so many minutes every day but there just don't seem to be enough minutes every day to really connect with the people that I want to. My roommate and I talked last night for awhile about how relationships are harder to maintain when you don't live in the same town...even with so many ways to communicate over the miles...for me, personally, one on one conversations or even just sitting in the same room together is the best.
It's amazing as well, to think about everywhere I have been, everything I have done and all the people I have learned from over just the past 10 years. I was living in Tallahassee at the time...and have since lived in Sneads(FL), Pensacola, Atlanta, Nashville and Orange Beach. I hiked 2,172 miles in 14 states with my sister and 3 other friends. Funny, because 10 years ago, my sister and I didn't get along as well as we could have and now she is my best friend! I couldn't imagine life without her laughter and words of wisdom and determination...I am more thankful for those 6 months on the Appalachian Trail with her that I can express.
The best part is - that I LOVE my life - I am blessed and broken and so thankful for all of you and my experiences. It's good. Yep.
I actually was just going to share the good news - that I just rode a stationary bike at the gym for 40 minutes and have lifted weights 3 times this week...it has been SO good to get out and move! My foot is swollen right now but it feels great! I had the stitches removed on Tuesday and have been allowed to weight bare on my foot as long as it's comfortable for me. Yea! It is so much easier to go upstairs now! I am so slow and I only put weight on the outside of my foot...but I can walk! And it's only been 3 weeks since my surgery! Hmmmm...one day at a time.

1 comment:

Adventures with MS said...

I find it amusing that in life we reference things around the big events in our lives but that is how we are programmed.

I cannot tell you how many times I reference the Appalachian Trail as a turning point in my life. I wonder too what that next "big" thing to reference will be...