Sunday, August 20, 2006

songs...worship...real...faith

Patty Griffin's song..."When it don't come easy".

Dang, I haven't listened to this song in a couple of months and it almost made me cry to hear it on one of my friends page. I love it that music/songs get in and create such an emotional response when I least expect it. You know when you almost feel it in your bones - that kind of reaction. So I am adding the song to my page - thanks Jeff, for letting me steal it!
Why now? Honestly, probably cause I am tired because I just got back from my Sr High Youth retreat. But I also had the opportunity to sing this song at a friends wedding two years ago, and while I was learning it, I was trying to move on from a pretty big relationship and figure out what to do next in my life. It was a huge transition period for me. Do I go back to school? Go into youth ministry? Work at Starbucks? I remember listening to this song over and over and wanting to share...to share - to draw others in and help them understand that it won't be easy but they aren't alone.

I long. I hope. I know. I love. I hurt. I yearn. I believe.

Life seems so hard at times, so alone. Even when surrounded by so many. I want someone to know me to my core...to stand with me.

I think the hardest thing for me, is when one of my students or friends comes to me - and they are trying so hard to see God, to hear His voice, and they still can't. For whatever reason. But the reality is, it happens to me as well.

Believing when you feel nothing.

Hebrews 11:1 (The Message)The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd.

Red lights are flashing on the highway
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home tonight
Everywhere the waters getting rough
Your best intentions may not be enough
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home tonight

But if you brake down
I'll drive out and find you
If you forget my love
I'll try to remind you
And stay by you when it don't come easy

I don't know nothing except change will come
Year after year what we do is undone
Time keeps moving from a crawl to a run
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home

You're out there walking down a highway
And all of the signs got blown away
Sometimes you wonder if you're walking in the wrong direction

But if you brake down
I'll drive out and find you
If you forget my love
I'll try to remind you
And stay by you when it don't come easy

So many things that I had before
That don't matter to me now
Tonight I cry for the love that I've lost
And the love I've never found
When the last bird falls
And the last siren sounds
Someone will say what's been said before
Some love we were looking for

But if you brake down
I'll drive out and find you
If you forget my love
I'll try to remind you
And stay by you when it don't come easy

No comments: