Monday, August 28, 2006

Partial thoughts...from myspace

God utters me like a word containing a partial thought of himself --Thomas Merton

I have been sitting with this quote for a couple of days. I have to be perfectly honest right now - did Mr. Merton know what he was saying when he said this or was it more like it came out of his mouth and then he realized just how amazing it was?

I am a word from God. Uttered. But more than that - I contain a partial thought of himself. And that happens just because it came from Him. Me from Him. On my own, but a part of who He is.

Do you know how freeing that is? I have been teaching on "masks" and trying to own our weaknesses and sins and to realize that God is sitting with us right in the middle of all of it. Own. I am nut. Insecure at times, and seriously secure a lot of the time. I have been allowed to glimpse just how beautiful the body of Christ is - two times today! The...working along side others and all of us doing our part that we LOVE to do and each of us completes a different part of the picture! Encouraging one another. Loving one another boldly. Accepting the oddnesses(is that a word?) in each other.

I read a book about 5 years ago, that I really want to find again. It was in my church library, but I can't find it now. It was a fiction story of a boy with a weak heart and his faith journey. He loved to talk about concepts of the heart - and about the God shaped hole in all of us...but he put a twist on it as well. That God has an "Emily" shaped hole in His heart - and only I can fit there... I LOVE THAT!

God uttered me to draw me back to fill a spot in His heart.

That's what I am created to do! To be me. To be the odd, slightly smelly, beautiful, alive, real, not always focused, questioning, inspired, truth seeking, travelling, simple - yet strangely complex, protecting, ugly footed, music making, enchanted, pretend runner, hopeful, discouraged, listening, strength building, flip flop wearing, exploring, slightly annoying yet quite loveable - me. So that others can see a part of Him. Not all of Him because I don't embody all of Him. Just a partial thought.

No comments: