Tuesday, May 02, 2006

2nd attempt today...from myspace

Guess nobody was supposed to read what I just wrote. It was good too. Hahahaha...

I had a friend tell me last week that she is really struggling with the God of the old testament. She is anti - war and just doesn't understand that he would tell the people to go into city and kill all the people. Good struggle, huh. My first reaction and statement was something about how once Jesus showed up - He brought a new law, a new command. John 13:34 "A new command I give you; Love one another..." And she and I talked a bit about how people forget that Jesus came and brought love - BOLD love - as a command not war, not fighting...but sometimes harsh words for people that thought they knew everything.

So I have thought a lot about our conversation...and I was reading the book of James - James 2:12-13 "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgement without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgement!" This just stopped me...I had not noticed this verse before...in James.

I need to make a poster and put that over my desk, cause I want to judge all the time! If you look at me funny, dress weird, have shifty eyes...lie to me, borrow money...I am ready to judge. But I want to be judge by the law that gives freedom...to show mercy, cause mercy triumphs!

So now in the world we live in - where so many people are pointing fingers at Christians...because we come across like we have it all figured out - how about remembering that we live by a law of love...don't get me wrong...love doesn't mean let everyone walk on you - but love with a bold love...and let's start showing mercy to a world that needs to know that they are loved by a King who died on a cross for each one of them.

No comments: