Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Stevia Marshmallows - total FAIL

I'm going camping this weekend with my boyfriend.  We are heading to campsite near Oneida, TN that I went to for a week with my Pensacola Youth when we served with Confrontation Point back in 2006!  He picked Bandy Creek Campgrounds because it's supposed to have very little light pollution - for night time photography!

I'm excited to go hiking and find waterfalls AND make yummy smore's!!!

I decided to try to make homemade sugar free marshmallow's this morning with stevia. I'd like to keep eating less sugar but still enjoy things that I love to eat.  Last year mom and I made Orange and coconut marshmallows around Easter.  They were really yummy... so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to figure out how to do the same thing but with stevia.

I borrowed a stand mixer & kosher gelatin from my friend, Michelle yesterday.


Then I found a couple different websites that had recipes for sugar-free marshmallows. I decided to try this recipe on Purely Twins website.  It doesn't sound too hard!  I don't have liquid stevia at the moment - so I looked up the conversion of liquid stevia to powdered and added the powdered to the water that I boiled on the stove.

I have no idea if it was the powdered stevia or if I didn't let the water come to a full boil. But when I started mixing the water/stevia solution with the water/gelatin solution - it just got frothy like this:



And that never changed.

I mixed it for 10 minutes.  For another 2 minutes.


And then another 2 minutes.

Then poured the mixture into my prepared pan. And watched all of the bubbles pop and slowly settle into a slightly caramel color water.  Water that has gelatin and stevia and vanilla in it.


I'll probably have jello later.



It's too bad - my boyfriend can't eat marshmallows because they may have msg in them and msg gives him HUGE headaches.  So I was hoping to succeed at the sugar-free version for me and then find a way to make sugar marshmallows without gelatin for him.

But I think I'm going to let it go for now and just enjoy jet-puffed marshmallows out of a bag this weekend.

No comments: