Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Rich Young Ruler

Tuesday, October 20th - thoughts of the day

I am sitting in my car pulled off - on the side of a mountain road looking a vast expanse...mountains, LOTS of green, clouds, sheep, trees...I can't even describe the detail of the grass and the way it has so much depth compared to the trees and the contrast to the blue sky!!! Sigh.

I am on the Forgotten World Highway(which I have since learned is a destination in itself - and I just happened upon it!) and I have pulled over 5 times in the last 45 minutes because the views are so exquisite. Seriously. It took me about 3 hours to drive someting that should have taken me half of that...it was amazing.

Anyways, on the side of the road with David Crowder and Derek Webb playing in the background and I have been praying and tearing up and just thinking about life.

It's hard to admit that I struggle. I used to always want to be seen as somebody who not only has it all together but I also enjoy everything I go through! But I am learing to be more honest with myself. I have been struggling lately with my purpose and where I believe God is calling me. If I could make any money - I think I want to sell my house and give the money away to someone who needs it more...but I don't think I would make any money. I know that going to Nigeria this past year shook my faith and what I feel I can actually make a difference with here on earth.

Being on my own these past few days - has allowed me to hear and to be broken as well as strengthened in my faith and what I believe Jesus calls his people to as His body. So what does that mean to my life? I have no idea except that I have to keep listening.

But man, it is easier for me to hear him when I am outside.

Derek Webb - "Rich Young Ruler"

poverty is so hard to see
when it’s only on your tv and twenty miles across town
where we’re all living so good
that we moved out of Jesus’ neighborhood
where he’s hungry and not feeling so good
from going through our trash
he says, more than just your cash and coin
i want your time, i want your voice
i want the things you just can’t give me

so what must we do
here in the west we want to follow you
we speak the language and we keep all the rules
even a few we made up
come on and follow me
but sell your house, sell your suv
sell your stocks, sell your security
and give it to the poor
what is this, hey what’s the deal
i don’t sleep around and i don’t steal
i want the things you just can’t give me

because what you do to the least of these
my brother’s, you have done it to me
because i want the things you just can’t give me

No comments: