Monday, March 09, 2009

Image of God...

How do you see God?

When you think about Him...what image do you have?

Is he...
watching you to catch your mistakes...
chasing after you...
a blur that you can't quite comprehend...
a lap that you can crawl into and rest...
a task master...
like your parents...

Who is he to you?

When Jesus said "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father." - it was a new idea for his disciples at the time. But for us today - even using the image of father has negative connotations for many people.

I used to think what Jesus said in John 14: 6-7...was that you could GET to the Father unless you get to him through Jesus. I now believe more and more that when Jesus said:

Jesus answered,
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would knowa]">[a] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.

...he really is trying to help us understand that he, Jesus, is the best image of our God that we can see here on earth.
That God is...
a servant
loving
really sees people
cares about everyone
despises deceit
is reaching out to us
weeps with us
willing to touch us - even when everyone else thinks we are untouchable
isn't afraid to speak the truth even if it isn't what we want to hear
loves us enough to die for us
isn't going to be what we expect AT ALL.


No comments: