Friday, February 10, 2006

Thinking...perceptions...realities. From myspace.

To be - do you have to know that you are?

Yeah, yeah...I am not really that deep. But in my little world there seems to be a stirring. Questions, and wonderings about what really is...truth. Is it that I work with a postmodern generation? What is postmodern really? What is modern? What am I? And does it matter what generation I am in? Can truth shift to fit in a generation? Or are we just shifting around the truth?

One definition of postmodernism that I have found: "Postmodernism is "post" because it is denies the existence of any ultimate principles, and it lacks the optimism of there being a scientific, philosophical, or religious truth which will explain everything for everybody - a characterisitic of the so-called "modern" mind."

I want to allow Christ to reshape my habitual way of seeing. I don't want to see things because that is the way I have always looked at them...but I think no matter what way I look at anything I am still putting God in a box. I don't know if it is possible to not put Him in a box...He is too HUGE for me to comprehend so I have to grab hold of the idea of who He is and how He functions in my life and by doing that - He is in a box. My box. My reality. John 9:39. "Then Jesus told him, 'I have come to judge the world. I have come to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind.'"

I think one of the things that I am finally able to verbalize or own - is that I can't explain faith. I can't save others...and the harder I try to explain and make sense of it all - the more confusing it becomes.

So it's kind of funny that I am a youth director...cause all I get is questions from my youth. Questions about the Bible, the rules of Christianity, end times, faith, "how do we know that Abraham really existed" - but a lot of them really don't want to know answers cause they are only relying on what I say.

So here's to loving them right where they are - and living in whatever generation it is that I am living in.

No comments: