Sunday, January 06, 2008

Life...it's interesting, huh?


Mom left yesterday morning to head back to Ohio. She and Dad came down a couple of days before my surgery and then my sister and her husband joined us for a week over Christmas. We had a great week together on the beach - they got to run, walk and we all played. I love my family.
Mom stayed an extra week after J., P. and dad went back - we had a really good time together. Albeit, we watched bunches of t.v. and while I kept my foot elevated but it was good to just be together...
After church today I went to lunch with some friends and then had to get home to put my foot up again. I can handle about 2 hours of it down but then it's definitely time to rest. So laying down with my foot on two pillows it is...
This afternoon I read a lot - mostly online - news around the world, friends blogs all over this country...it is heartbreaking to read the news of the genocide in Kenya or about the kids that have been sold by their parents in Iraq. There is so much that most of just keep ignoring and it's hard knowing that I have so much but so many are struggling to just survive. Another one that was hard to read was the story of the 24 year old hiker in Georgia. She went out on New Years Day with her dog and disappeared that day - there was an older man that some people saw hiking with her and it's believed that he stole her wallet and possible physically injured her.
I have been out hiking by myself so many times and have run into so many other people while out there...I hate that the freedom of hiking...the freedom of life is slowly being taken away by selfish people...and we have so much in this country!
BUT the last blog I read is one of my friends that I met in Nashville. Amelia and her husband, Scott, are co-blogging about their experience of adopting their second son in Guatemala - WOW! It has been such a blessing to read their story. Their honesty and beauty and love for each other and their sons because of the love they've received from Christ. It's amazing. And lives are being changed for good because they are living truth.

It's times like this that I want to do more. I want to make a bigger difference. And I am probably a little more frustrated because I can't do much right now...but I guess I can still offer up my life - to be a little more honest, a little more real, a little more loving, a little more adventurous...but right now it is a time for me to rest and to heal. And that is good. Now. More to come later...

2 comments:

liamdunaway said...

I bet these surgeries have led to some extended periods of intense introversive thinking. Hm, the things we think of when we try to pinpoint our place in this whole scheme of things.

Luckily, you've had the training that is solo hiking to condition you for hard-core self reflection. Man... I miss the trail.

Adventures with MS said...

Well I don't want to say too much we talked a long time about the freedom of hiking and having to trust those around us. I miss you and I hope that someday soon we can hike together...cause I miss that.

I love you!